To begin learning about prairie restoration, you may want to refer to these books:
- Flora of the Chicago Region: A Floristic and Ecological Synthesis by Wilhelm and Rericha
- Miracle Under the Oaks: The Revival of Nature in America by William K. Stevens
- The Tallgrass Prairie: An Introduction by Cindy Crosby
- The Tallgrass Restoration Handbook for Prairies, Savannas, and Woodlands edited by Stephen Packard and Cornelia Mutel
- Wildflowers of the Tallgrass Prairie: The Upper Midwest by Sylvan Runkel and Dean Roosa
For more suggestions, see Cindy Crosby's February 16, 2021, "Reading the Tallgrass Prairie" blog for a review of prairie literary and historical explorations. In addition, the Tallgrass Prairie Center, University of Northern Iowa, Books and Reports web page lists several useful resources.