During the months of November to February, children under age 18 may not participate in workdays due to the nature of the tasks involved.
College students seeking extra credit or fulfilling class requirements are welcome to participate in workdays from early May through early November. Stewardship activities usually include weed management and seed collecting.
During the late fall, winter, and early spring, Nachusa staff and trained volunteers focus on tree and brush removal. Because of safety considerations, workdays are not open to students seeking extra credit or fulfilling class requirements from early November to February.
No workdays will take place during controlled burn season in March and April.
The pictures below describe a typical November-February workday from start to finish. A photo gallery for our May-November workdays can be found on our Thursday and Saturday Workdays page. Follow the links below to sign-up and learn more about our COVID-19 restrictions. We hope to see you soon!
1. After the Visitor Center briefing, volunteers will head to the workday location. Make sure to dress for the weather and bring a mask. The leader reserves the right to exclude participants if they are not prepared.
2. Volunteers will be handed the sanitized equipment needed at the work site. Mask are not required when social distancing can be maintained. These workdays are typically in wooded areas, and eye protection and work gloves are required.
3. Tasks include using loppers to cut branches and shrubs, applying herbicide to woody vegetation, dragging branches to burn piles, and burning brush. Experience is not required! The workday leader will show you how to preform the task.
4. These tasks may run in conjunction with felling of trees by experienced sawyers. Although there will be extra safety precautions, children under 18 and college students fulfilling extra credit are not allowed to attend any winter workday.
5. These workdays may take place in freezing temperature and burning brush piles are not always possible. Make sure to dress for working in cold weather and check your email beforehand. Workdays will be cancelled due to bad conditions.
6. At the end of the workday, equipment will be collected and sanitized. Volunteers are welcome to stay after and enjoy the rest of Nachusa. During brush clearing, the before and after difference is striking and makes all the extra effort worth it!